[messages] [Module Design] Tips for Making Cards Look Nice and Straight?

duane ageek at warpmail.net
Thu Apr 16 11:56:46 CEST 2015

I scanned all of my cards, nine at a time, then started to use the gimp
to crop and straighten them. However, I switched to using Fred's
Multicrop and Imagemagick:

http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/multicrop/[1]

http://www.imagemagick.org/[2]

The multicrop script separates, straightens, and crops just about any
set of images that don't overlap or touch the edge of the scan, provided
there's a similar background around them. It spit out over a thousand
usable images from 116 pages of scans in one night with minimal effort.

In my case, I wanted the cards cropped a little closer, the background
removed at the rounded corners, and the whole thing resized (from 600
dpi), so I wrote a small script to use imagemagick to take the edges
off. It's kind of iffy, but it worked in most cases, and I did the
remainder manually. I'll post it if anyone is interested.

[1] http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/multicrop/
[2] http://www.imagemagick.org/