[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Intitial Tiling Fails for Large Graphics (Maps)

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Jun 14 14:31:52 CEST 2015

Thus spake reg129:
> Hi,
> I have looked for previous posts of this type and didn't find any that
> were similar so I am posting this.
>
> I just downloaded two Vassal modules from the Decision Games website and
> found that the "Cobra" module works fine but the "War between the
> States" fails to tile correctly and hangs at 26% leaving the tiling
> window open.  After a while it brings up the game selection menus (which
> work) but only displays a single fragment of the main map in the top
> left corner. I suspect other graphics may also be missing.  I have
> attached the two error logs, one successful for 10MB files and the other
> unsuccessful for 13MB files.
>
> The only difference I can see is the size of the graphic file being
> processed and that the conversion switches to FileImageTypeConverter and
> the process then fails.

The tiler might be running out of memory.

The tiler runs in a separate process and guesses how much memory will be
needed. I see that you're using Java 8, which is newer than anything
we tested aginst. If Java 8 requires more memory to do the same work
than Java 6, that would explain why this fails for you.