[messages] Edit: Re: [Technical Support & Bugs] Intitial Tiling Fails for Large Graphics (Maps)

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Jun 28 13:07:44 CEST 2015

Thus spake reg129:

> I have installed Java 1.7 CPU 79 and attempted to run Vassal under this
> version to see if it made a difference but no luck. (I don't want to
> uninstall 8 ).  A web search said you should be able to open a shell and
> set the PATH & JAVA_HOME env variables to run an application under an
> older version of Java.  "java -version" indeed flags the older version
> but when Vassal.exe is run in the shell, it still uses Java 8 (as
> evidenced by the absolute path in the error log).
>
> Where does Vassal pick up the Java path??  Does it get it from the
> symlinks at C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath??

I assume that have a Windows install rather than a generic one, so
you're launching VASSAL using VASSAL.exe. Launch4j builds VASSAL.exe for
us. I wasn't able to track down a precise statement of how it selects
a JVM, but my guess is that it looks at the Windows registry to find the
most recent usable version.

You could instead run the JVM directly:

  java -jar lib\Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager