[messages] Edit: Re: [Technical Support & Bugs] Intitial Tiling Fails for Large Graphics (Maps)

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Jun 28 22:31:19 CEST 2015

Thus spake reg129:
> [This message has been edited.]
>

> > What are the dimensions of the image you were trying to tile?
>

>  jpg, 9757 x 7293, 12.7MB

The only thing relevant for tiler memory usage is the pixel dimensions,
since that determines the size of the raw pixel data. File type and file
size aren't relevant.

The formula we use for setting the max heap for the tiler is 1.66*M+150,
where M is the size in MB of the pixel data for the image with the most
pixel data.

In the case of WBtS, it's this map, which has 9757*7293 = 71157801
pixels. At 4 bytes per pixel, that's 284631204 bytes, or just under
272MB. 1.66*272+150 is right around 600MB. (Your error log is showing
599MB, which is going to be due to rounding.)

We might be able to solve this by making the first and zeroth order
coeficients in the formula adjustible. The reason I didn't opt for this
in the first place is that hardly anyone will understand how to set
these reasonably, and setting them poorly will cause many modules to
fail to tile.