[messages] [Module General Discussion] recent trends of recently-released module.

dott.Piergiorgio dott.piergiorgio at fastwebnet.it
Tue Mar 3 14:52:30 CET 2015

I monitor the Vassal module's evolution, and I'm rather perplexed about
the recently-established policy of allowing permission to publish
modules only without the charts.

In my opinion, is a commercial dead-end, if not failure, because the
avg. price of wargames (esp. in country like Italy, where the wargames
market is basically a monopoly of an importer) led wargamers to be much
more discriminating on their purchases, and I'm sure that the best
solution is akin to the shareware market model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareware

whose, incidentally, fits well into niche markets, as the wargaming
market actually is.

The shareware/try-before-buy model I think can easily implemented on
wargames; for example, at least the multi-scenario (quadrigames, etc.)
ones, one can release only one scenario, but complete, allowing
potential buyers to assess if the wargame really is what they want.

OTOH, the general concept can be successfully applied to initiatives
like GMT's P500; I'm confident that a "public demo" (let's say, a single
scenario or even a part of it, but fully playable, more or less) can
easily drive the prenotations above the threshold more quickly, if not
actually __much__ more quickly.

and, what about proofs of concept of new gaming ideas ? feedback is key
in success of new products...

I guess I have given enough food of thought and constructive criticism,
so I give my

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.