[messages] [Module Design] Game Piece Image Definitions vs other types

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Mar 24 16:02:44 CET 2015

Thus spake FMAlanbrooke via messages:
> Hi, I am wondering which would be best to use, Game Piece Image
> Definitions or scanned counters.  I have scanned all the counters but as
> they are mostly of the NATO type I am wondering if I should use the Game
> Piece Image Definitions instead.  Does this make the game go faster and
> reduce the file size?

It's unlikely to run faster using GPIs. Are you having a problem with
speed?

You might find that the size of your module is a bit using GPIs. Are
you having a problem with your module being too large?

>   I am totally new to Vassal but I am amazed by this software, it is the
> first I have ever seen that truely lives up to it's claim that no
> programming is required.  So I have scanned the images and setup the
> maps and some other features, now I am wondering which way to go with
> the counters.  It seems I might have to edit all the counters to reduce
> the number of colours as my files are way over the Vassal limit in size.

I'd recommend strongly against reducing color depth. How large is your
module? How many images do you have and in what format?