[messages] [Module Design] svg map slow--which changes to make?

scs sstrait1 at san.rr.com
Tue Dec 20 09:50:02 CET 2016

I'm working on a module with a board having 64 rows of 60 hexes each. I
tried replacing the png map with an svg map,
but VASSAL runs too slowly with it. It might be 100* slower or so. I
tried loading it for a game, and editing the hex grid--both
were on track to take 30 minutes or so to load the map, so I stopped the
runs.
Which of these changes are worth experimenting with?

1. Convert the svg map to png
2. Make the svg less redundant and less wordy--I might be able to cut it
down to 1/3 size or so.
3. Don't provide the hex grid as part of the svg--maybe VASSAL is faster
using only its own hex grid?
4. Don't provide the grid coordinates as part of the svg--maybe VASSAL
is faster using only its own coordinate marking?

Board 64X60 hexes, 2MB svg, 11MB old png, 3.25MB new png.
svg created directly by a perl script
old png is a pasteup of John Cooper's art and board extensions created
in postscript by a perl script and converted to png.
Proposed new png--converted from the svg.
The module prior to these changes is at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkjn1b3l38fgg[1] ... .vmod?dl=0
Thanks
Stewart

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkjn1b3l38fgg