[messages] [General Discussion] VASSAL 3.2.17 Released
uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Dec 31 19:52:00 CET 2016
__VASSAL 3.2.17 released__
The VASSAL Team is happy to announce the release of VASSAL 3.2.17, which
which fixes several problems found in earlier versions.
* If you save a module, game, or log in VASSAL 3.2, you will NOT be able
to open it afterwards with VASSAL 3.1. We recommend keeping a backup
copy of any pre-3.2 files you plan to modify in 3.2 until you've
verified that everything works to your satisfaction.
* If you found it necessary to set a very large maximum heap (> 512MB)
for a module with VASSAL 3.1, it should now be possible with VASSAL 3.2
to set a much lower maximum heap and achieve similar or better display
performance. 512MB should now be adequate for most modules.
* VASL 6 is compatible with VASSAL 3.2. VASL users, please upgrade!
* If you are using MacOS X 10.8.3 or later, you may see the message
"VASSAL-3.2.17.app is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it
to the Trash." The problem is NOT that your download was corrupt, but
rather that MacOS is preventing you from running VASSAL. To start
VASSAL, control-click or right-click the app bundle's icon and select
Open from the menu. You'll see a dialog asking whether you want to open
VASSAL. Select "Open". Thereafter, you should be able to start VASSAL
* Oracle's Java 7 and 8 have very poor rendering performance on some
MacOS X systems, particularly Yosemite. If you are experiencing this,
please use Apple's Java 6 instead.
Mac OS X
The following bugs in 3.2.16 are fixed in 3.2.17:
* 12534: Regular Expression matching not supported in Calulated Property
* 12533: Game Refresher fails if Extensions are loaded
* 12527: "Save Game" behaves as "Save As"
* 12526: Switching desktop on Mac OS X 10.11.3 sometimes clones the
currently selected unit
* 12518: Rotated Layer following property does not update if property
* 11649: Persistent LOS thread not working with zoom different from 100%
* 11404: Some uses of the PRNG introduce a minuscule amount of modulo
* 9670: IllegalStateException: Icon Family VASSAL not found in
The following bugs in 3.2.15 are fixed in 3.2.16:
* 12524: Images retile unnecessarily due to bad timestamp
* 12522: Deck shuffling logged incorrectly
For changes prior to 3.2.16, see the change log.
Please report all bugs in 3.2.17, even if they are bugs which you've
already reported against other versions. We take your bug reports
seriously---they're the reason we've been able to fix so many bugs.
__New Features in 3.2__
* Levels within a Layer can be moved up or down the level list using
buttons. [RFE 1919]
* Mass Piece Loader activated by 'Add Multiple Pieces' and 'Add Multiple
Cards' options in right-click menu in Editor. Specify a folder of
images, specify a counter template and Vassal will automatically load
the images and generate units. [RFE 1927]
* Description field added to Toolbar Menu and Multi-Action button
components. [RFE 1885]
* Specify Keystrokes by name - Key Commands can be entered as single Key
Strokes as in earlier versions of Vassal, or can be given a 2 or more
character names. Named Key Strokes are essentially 'invisible' to users.
Vassal guarantees that a unique real keyStroke will be allocated to each
uniquely named Keystroke. [RFE 1928]
* Decks can specify by Property Expression which pieces are allowed to
be dropped onto them. Pieces which may not be added are returned to
where the drag started. [RFE 1935]
* Decks can now specify a Hotkey for the Reverse and FaceUp/Down command
and can customize the Reverse and Re-shuffle menu command names. [RFE
* Counters now support the DeckPosition property. If a piece is not in a
Deck, 0 is returned. If a piece is in a Deck, then the position of the
piece relative to the top of the Deck is returned. The top piece returns
1, the next piece down returns 2 etc. [RFE 1937]
* Support for MP3 sound files. [RFE 1934]
* Fix Display/Color handling for Grids and Numberings. Allow Numbering
to be visible when grid not visible in Zones. [RFE 1917]
* Implementation of BeanShell allowing arbitrarily complex Java
expressions to be used in Property Match Expressions, In-line Java
expressions and new Calculated Property trait. [RFE 1801]
* Display the Log File Comments in the Chat Window when a log file is
opened or continued. [RFE 1939]
* Global Key Commands created on a Map now have an option to affect
counters on all Maps, not just the Map they are created on. [RFE 1902]
* Traits that move a counter (Send To Location, Return to Deck, Moved
Fixed Distance, Pivot) now update the same location Oldxxxxxx properties
that Drag and Drop movement does. [RFE 1792]
* Added repeat (loop) option to Trigger Action and Multi-action button.
* Ensure all commands generated by a single user action are undone by a
single click of the undo action. [RFE 2816016]
* Option to allow non-owning players to move Restricted Access pieces.
* Add 'Snap to Grid?' option to HexGrid and SquareGrid, defaulting to
Yes. Allows Grid Snapping to be turned off for the whole grid. [RFE
* Streamlined room creation: automatic synchronization on room entry
* New scenario updater [RFE 1899]
* Allow Dynamic Property Select Value list to be dynamic [RFE 1926]
* All scaling is now high-quality. Low-quality scaling (in hardware)
caused too many graphics glitches on Windows.
* The Invisible trait now supports adjustable transparency.
* Map images are tiled the first time modules are loaded, to create an
image cache. This should dramatically reduce the amount of memory needed
to run modules.
* Improved display of properties in the Editor [RFE 4323]:
- Display all available properties from all components structured in
same way as the components of the module are built instead of all
global properties being dumped in one menu.
- Available Global properties now appear without having to start a
Previously, globals like Deck and Zone properties where not
unless you had started a game.
- Property and component names are sorted, except for the Piece
menu where the traits are displayed in the same order they exist in
- If a menu has too many options to fit on the screen, it is now
scrollable, instead of stretching off the screen and leaving some
* Improvements to Layer trait [RFE 4717]:
- Follow Property name may be a BeanShell expression.
- Improved layout for Layer dialog in Editor.
* Notify user when image loading fails [RFE 1887]
VASSAL 3.2 requires the Java Runtime Envrionment to run.
Linux: Java 6 or later is required for using VASSAL on Linux.
MacOS X: The recommended minimum Java version for using VASSAL on MacOS
X is 1.5.0_08 (a.k.a. Java 5 Update 8) for Macs where Java 6 is
unavailable, and Java 6 or later for Macs where Java 6 is available.
Windows: The recommended minimum Java version for Windows is 1.6.0_45
(a.k.a. Java 6 Update 45). Windows users installing VASSAL with the
Windows installer will be prompted to update Java if what they have is
older than 1.6.0_45. After upgrading Java on Windows, you must restart
your computer in order for Java programs to work properly.
If you've installed Java 7 on Windows and thereafter VASSAL fails to
launch: The Java 7 installer does not uninstall Java 6, and having both
installed simultaneously prevents both from working properly. Therefore,
check whether you also still have Java 6 installed. If so, removing Java
6 and rebooting will most likely solve your problem.
__Help us test__
Should you find any problems/oddities/bugs, please tell us so that we
fix them for a future release of VASSAL.
Report bugs here in the Technical Support & Bugs category at the VASSAL
forums or by email to bugs at vassalengine.org.
The VASSAL Team
Read this topic online here:
More information about the messages