[messages] [Developers] Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Jan 4 03:22:16 CET 2016

Thus spake apm:
> Hi,
>
> I would be interested in contributing to VASSAL ...
> I'm a software engineer working with infrastrucure architecture. In my
> daily work I currently code mostly in C and Go (some Perl/Python too).
> It's about 20 years since I last worked with Java, but getting up to
> speed with the language should be a small task.

That's ok, as we're not using Java for V4. It's going to be in C++.

> I used to play a lot of boardgames, especially larger ones, but I've
> realized that given my current daily life and where I live, I won't have
> the opotunity to do that again unless it's via the Internet.

That's why I got into this myself. Welcome!

> So I've been puzzling with some ideas of how such a distributed game
> engine should/could be designed. One thing I would consider is whether
> it makes sense to store the game state and history in a Git repository.

My suspicion is that this would impose some hard-to satisfy requirements
on the V4 web client I expect we'll build, as well as being heavier
weight than what we need for history tracking.

I'd like to discuss this further once I'm back home (travelling now).

I intend to return to V4 planning once we've moved house, which should
have happened by the end of February at the latest.