[messages] [Developers] Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Jan 4 19:04:50 CET 2016

Thus spake apm:

> "uckelman" wrote:
> > That's ok, as we're not using Java for V4. It's going to be in C++.
>

> Oh... ok. I actually used to teach C++ once... but that was way before
> all this fancy C++0x stuff.

C++11 is a massive improvment over C++03. I'd like to write code for the
C++14 standard if we can, as it fixes a few warts from C++11 (such as:
being unable to move objects into lambdas).

> Are there any policies about letting VASSAL be able to know more about
> the game rules? (or not doing it)?

My plan is for modules to have access to game objects via JavaScript,
so if one wanted to code up game rules procedurally, one could do so
much more directly than is possible now.

Eventually, I'd like to have a rules representation language for
encoding rules declaratively, which could then be used to enforce rules
via model checking---but that's not something I want to taclke now, as
it's very much a research problem, not a software engineering problem.