[messages] [General Discussion] Can vassal export tracking of pieces into a .csv file?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Jan 12 11:44:30 CET 2016

Thus spake Digitt:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have an excel template that I use to graph my games for a board game
> I’m inventing. I know that Vassal can track piece movement etc. I’d
> actually like to know if it can track only the pieces on the board at
> the end of the turn (I don’t need to track movement or anything else,
> just whether or not they’re on the board). And if it’s possible to
> export the results in a csv so that I can import it into excel and see
> the graph of how my game progressed?

You could write a custom class to dump piece positions to CSV. That's
probably going to be the most straightforward way to get the data. You
could do something like print the piece positions to the chat window,
which you could then copy out---you'd do that with some combination of
piece traits and a Global Key Command. You could theoretically parse
the saveFile XML and get the data that way, but that would be painful.