[messages] [General Discussion] Friend wary of downloading Vassal.

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu Jan 14 23:09:37 CET 2016

Thus spake Jarl67:
> Hi J,
>
> I am fairly certain it was link on http://www.vassalengine.org/[1] which
> goes to Sourceforge where I clicked on the vassal download button.   I
> didn't download it but instead just ran it from dialog box.  Sorry I am
> unable to give you more information, like screenshots, filename, etc.
>
> -Jarl

Just now I downloaded and hashed each of the five files we offer via
our Downloads page for 3.2.15 and found that in each case the hash
matched the hash of files I uploaded when we released 3.2.15. I.e.,
barring someone having found a way to produce SHA1 hash collisions,
the files I downloaded are identical to the ones I uploaded. There
isn't any malware in the files I uploaded.

I can't comment further on what you're seeing without more details,
but I can conclusively say that there's nothing wrong with the files
I downloaded.