[messages] [General Discussion] Friend wary of downloading Vassal.

RobS robs at dakotacom.net
Sat Jan 16 08:31:36 CET 2016

"Jarl67" wrote:
> Hi J,
>
> I am fairly certain it was link on http://www.vassalengine.org/[1]
> which goes to Sourceforge where I clicked on the vassal download
> button.   I didn't download it but instead just ran it from dialog
> box.  Sorry I am unable to give you more information, like
> screenshots, filename, etc.
>
> -Jarl

The Vassal download should start automatically, you shouldn't have to
click on anything.

It sounds like you clicked on one of those prominent green-colored
_Download_ buttons, which indeed are just advertisements, malware or
other assorted garbage.
You need to be real careful about what you click on at these various
filehosting sites, like Sourceforge. They all have these advertisements
that look like you need to click on to get the file you want.

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/