[messages] [Module General Discussion] SPI materials in hands of a copyright troll ?

zagros zagrossadjadi at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 16 07:46:20 CET 2016

I noticed someone mistakenly claimed I was somehow a "known copyright
troll." Nothing could be further from the truth and it would be nice to
put this erroneous allegation to rest. Hopefully the original poster
will see fit to apologize for the misunderstanding.

Let me give you some background as to how Paragon Simulations ended up
with the copyright of Winter War. Back in the mid 1980s, I partnered
with Mike Taber (currently head of Historifigs) to start Paragon
Simulations.  We purchased Winter War from 3W (prior to 3W selling
Strategy and Tactics to Decision Games) and I still have the original
contract to prove this, which I will be more than happy to post if
requested.  Permission has been granted for both a Cyberboard and a
Vassal module to be uploaded on the net and the only thing required was
acknowledgement of our copyright by stating that the uploading was done
with the permission of Paragon Simulations, since we hold the copyright.
 This is important not only to acknowledge this fact but also because,
as has been pointed out here, Decision Games, which own the vast
majority of SPI games, does not currently allow such modules. By
pointing out that the copyright is owned by Paragon Simulations, rather
than Decision Games, it serves to ensure that your Vassal module is not
the tangential victim of an overzealous takedown notice.

With respect to Winter War, so long as your modules are not sold, there
has never been any issues with making them available (if you want to
SELL them, you need to license it and pay a licensing fee but, if you
don't sell it, I don't see any issues).  Indeed, we have actively
encouraged such developments whenever asked.

Zagros Madjd-Sadjadi, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics
Winston-Salem State University