[messages] [General Discussion] Alternatives to Sourceforge for Download?

Syixxs syixxs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 22:34:08 CET 2016

Hey All,

Interested in getting involved with Vassal, but all I can find are
Sourceforge links. Are there any mirrors elsewhere for use? I can go
into all the reasons to avoid the place, but the short version is that
many consider it to be a bad actor in the realm of security and file
hosting practices. See the following:

http://www.howtogeek.com/218764/warning ... n-help-it/[1]
http://sdtimes.com/sd-times-blog-source ... f-malware/[2]
http://www.information-age.com/industry ... s-software[3]
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... ng-adware/[4]
https://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/8888[5]

Obviously many of you have downloaded it without issue or the place
would be a graveyard. I'm simply saying that I'm looking for other
options and giving some visibility to the Vassal staff that Sourceforge
hosting is a potential reason for new users to avoid getting involved.
They likely already know that, but more evidence of this doesn't hurt.

Do any of you know of other reputable sources?

Thanks for the time!

[1] http://www.howtogeek.com/218764/warning-don%E2%80%99t-download-software-from-sourceforge-if-you-can-help-it/
[2] http://sdtimes.com/sd-times-blog-sourceforge-now-a-source-of-malware/
[3] http://www.information-age.com/industry/software/123459675/hotbed-malware-another-blow-sourceforge-google-discovers-588-pages-malicious-software