[messages] [Developers] Adding new properties to counters and Setup Sheets

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Tue Jun 14 13:29:54 CEST 2016

> To resolve this, I had to rebuild the entire OOB Setup sheet by
> placing all the counters again in order to have the new property
> stick.

No you should not have to do this.  The __Tools -> Refresh Counters__
menu option should update all counters in your game to use the latest
definition in your module. You still have to save the game and copy it
into your module.

>  I would have thought that "all" counters would inherit the latest
> properties settings
 The reason for this apparently strange behavior is to ensure that log
file replays always replay the same, even if run back on a later version
of the module.

>  The piece in the .vsav file will look to get its attributes from the
> updated prototype that is in the main module.
 No, Vassal 3.2 does not work like this. Prototypes are expanded when
the counters are pulled from the menu into the game. The counters in the
.vsav file do not reference the prototypes.