[messages] [Module Design] Issues with map size - lag/heap problems

DrNostromo drnostromo at drnostromo.com
Fri Jun 24 19:33:45 CEST 2016

I can tell you what I have learned from my own personal experiences so
my equipment may have some bearing on whether this works for others or
not.

I have also used some very large maps. I've personally found that large
.JPG's are much more likely to crash Vassal than large .PNG's ...even
when .PNG graphic was larger in size than the .JPG graphic. Go figure.
Also, if there's no transparency involved, convert your .PNG's from 24
bit down to 8 bit. This usually reduces the file size significantly and
the quality loss isn't significant enough to really matter.

Also, I set my minimum heap at 1024 and my max at 1536. For me, that
seems to work well for everything.

Other's experiences my differ.