[messages] Edit: Re: [Module Design] Issues with map size - lag/heap problems

DrNostromo drnostromo at drnostromo.com
Fri Jun 24 19:34:19 CEST 2016

[This message has been edited.]

I can tell you what I have learned from my own personal experiences so
my equipment may have some bearing on whether this works for others or
not.

I have also used some very large maps. I've personally found that large
.JPG's are much more likely to crash Vassal than large .PNG's ...even
when a .PNG graphic was larger in size than the .JPG graphic. Go figure.
Also, if there's no transparency involved, convert your .PNG's from 24
bit down to 8 bit. This usually reduces the file size significantly and
the quality loss isn't significant enough to really matter.

Also, I set my minimum heap at 1024 and my max at 1536. For me, that
seems to work well for everything.

Other's experiences my differ.