[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Socket Error

dereck13 derecksherrer at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 28 05:14:44 CEST 2016

I've installed vassal and attempted to open several mods and always end
up with a Socket Error - The socket over which the Module Manager
communicates has had a fault. Please restart VASSAL.

I've searched for this error and saw that several people have had it,
but never found a solution.  Any suggestions?

Acer Aspire laptop
Intel i3 - 2.53Ghz
4gb RAM
Windows 10 Pro
Vassal 3.2.16
Java 8.91
Module: Burgle Bros
(http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Burgle_Bros[1].)

I have disabled Windows Firewall.  I am running Avast Free.  I really
don't know much about ports, etc, but I assume that must be the problem.
 Is there a port that I need to give exception to in Avast?  Thanks!

Here is the error log that pops up:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.io.IOException: Unable to
create directory
C:\Users\Sherrer\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\tiles\29bdb9fc304c2147f44c04c1cf0e610ab071fbf9\a\aa
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)
	at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker.get(Unknown Source)
	at
VASSAL.launch.AbstractLaunchAction$LaunchTask.done(AbstractLaunchAction.java:604)
	at VASSAL.launch.Player$LaunchAction$1.done(Player.java:188)
	at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$5.run(Unknown Source)
	at
org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown
Source)
	at org.jdesktop.swingworker.AccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at
org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.actionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
	at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown
Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to create directory
C:\Users\Sherrer\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\tiles\29bdb9fc304c2147f44c04c1cf0e610ab071fbf9\a\aa
	at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceMkdir(FileUtils.java:2211)
	at VASSAL.launch.TilingHandler.makeHashDirs(TilingHandler.java:323)
	at VASSAL.launch.TilingHandler.sliceTiles(TilingHandler.java:361)
	at
VASSAL.launch.AbstractLaunchAction$LaunchTask.doInBackground(AbstractLaunchAction.java:281)
	at
VASSAL.launch.AbstractLaunchAction$LaunchTask.doInBackground(AbstractLaunchAction.java:244)
	at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
	at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Burgle_Bros