[messages] [Module Design] Another question for your viewing enjoyment

rrvs spideratj at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 13:55:33 CEST 2016

Hi, sounds maybe like a layer trait for each tile (housing both sides)
might work better for you than Replace w/Other.  You'd have it checked
to 'always active', with the face up side in its Level 1 slot, then add
a Level and put the face down side in Level 2.  Then remove any base
image from the 'Basic Piece' trait (selecting: no image).

You can have the layer loop thru levels, if that works for the game, or
(if that's unchecked) have it remain on the flipped side (Level 2),
until a "reset to Level (1)" property or a 'decrease level' property is
added.  Under 'increase level' a property can be added that can be used
in the example of flipping tiles during a move that I added below.
We'll say increase level has a menu command of "Flip tile over" and a
key of: CTRL F.

Re the flip during moves... a problem with that is not having the flip
occur when you don't want it to.  For example, if the tile is placed on
the board face up, and then the player realizes oops it was placed to
the wrong location and needs shifting over one hex, then with nothing to
prevent it from doing so, the tile will flip over.  Someway to 'set' the
pieces before actual movement begins would help.... like if the
placement of tiles, and then their movement, each had their own separate
phases of a turn.

Also... if a tile is moved say three hexes, one hex at a time, I presume
you want it to stay flipped during the entire move, correct, not
flipping back and forth?  But then do all the moved tiles get flipped
back over to their front side for the start of another turn?  Just
saying the flipping may not be ideal each time, depending on how much
info the module is given regarding when and how to do it.

Those questions aside, here's a basic way to have a piece flip with each
move on the main map:

----------

Add a trigger to the last line of your main map's properties ('key
command to apply to all units ending movement on this map'), and then
add a Trigger Action to your tiles' prototype.  In that Trigger Action
trait, clear both the default menu and keyboard commands, then input
that main map's last property (the one just added) into 'Watch for these
Keystrokes', then input the property you're using to flip the tiles into
'Perform these Keystrokes' (CTRL F, if using the layer example above).

Hope this helps.  I can try to add to it if you have other questions,
but may not be immediately.