[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Fresh download not working?

Malnorma malnormacxio at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 04:46:59 CEST 2016

WARNING: If you are nervous about the registry, or not sure how to
backup the keys before making changes, don't follow this advice.

Update 101 introduced a fun problem for me where older versions took
precedence (I believe because they are sorted like strings and not
numbers, but that's just a guess).  Mine was something like update 89,
which was no longer installed, but hanging out in the registry anyway.
Have a look in your registry and delete any subkeys for older JVMs under
HKLM\Software\[Wow6432Node]\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment.  You
should see a 1.8.0_101 key under there, but if you see a 1.8.0_9x or
1.8.0_8x, delete or rename it.  Look both inside and outside the
Wow6432Node key if you have it (if not, you are on 32-bit Windows, and
can just ignore that part).