[messages] [Module Design] Calculated Property slows down VASSAL excessively

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Wed Sep 7 02:32:27 CEST 2016

> Besides writing a custom java class which I'm at present not capable
> of doing, what would be the correct way, Brent, if using my
> calculation is an abuse.

It depends on what you are using the Calculated Property (CP) for and
what the variable TPPBC is, how often it changes and where it is stored.
The CP must be continually being referenced, so we need to change that
so it is only calculated once and the result saved in a Dynamic Property
(DP) which will take the CP's place in your logic.

You have a die called d12, the result of which is the main driver in the
CP. How is it rolled? Can you change it to use a Multi-Action button to
roll the die, then do the big calculation and save it in a DP. The
Multi-action button would probably have to roll the die, then send a
Global key Command to all counters to tell them to set the DP to the
value of the CP.

If TPPBC is also changing, then you will need to do a similar thing
whenever it changes value.

Rgds.