[messages] [Module Design] Too many buttons in main window

PunTheHun vassal at flyhi.de
Fri Feb 10 12:39:46 CET 2017

I am working on a new module for Advanced Civ (TAHGC 1991). Each player
has a player mat (tokens & civ advances, visible to all) and a player
hand (trade cards, private). With a max. of 8 players (possibly 10 with
the eastern expansion) this makes a total of 16-20 buttons to show/hide
mats and hands, not counting other buttons. What's more, half of the
buttons (those for player hands) do not respond to anyone user but the
owning side (I hope).
If I do __not__ include buttons for, say, the player hand, the module
behaves undesirably: The player hand pops up when starting the module
(OK), but when the user closes it he is out of the game – there is no
way (meaning I do not see any) to re-open his hand, and he can only end
and re-start the game.
I see no way to combine the many buttons into a panel or multi-button,
as the buttons are defined in the map windows themselves and do not
appear as nodes.
There may be a way by going through key commands, but I have not tried
that yet. Finding 18-20 different key commands also does not look
enticing.

As there usually _is_ a way to bend VASSAL do one's will, my question
is: What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.