[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Save Writing Error Message

yggdrasilsyeoman ryan_borses at bostonconservatory.edu
Wed Feb 22 00:49:11 CET 2017

Hey there!  First off, forgive me, because I was able to find several
threads that had addressed variations of this error, but none of their
solutions were able to bail me out.  Hopefully this can be a quick
clarification.

- Acer Aspire E15
- Windows 8.1
- Intel Core i5-4210U
- Memory 4 GB
- Intel HD Graphics 4400
- Vassal 3.2.17
- Java version. Get it here
- Eldritch Horror 1.9

I'm just trying to add the library of card backs I generated from my
copy on the game to replace the blank ones the module comes with.
They're all ready to go, and I know how to replace the images, but any
time I try to save the module I get the save failure message and the
following log:

Code:
java.io.IOException: Unable to overwrite
C:\Users\Ryan\Documents\VASSAL\Eldritch_Horror_1.9.vmod:  Data written
to C:\Users\Ryan\Documents\VASSAL\tmp957384190363278320.zip instead.
	at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.writeToDisk(ZipArchive.java:510)
	at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.flush(ZipArchive.java:382)
	at VASSAL.tools.ArchiveWriter.write(ArchiveWriter.java:240)
	at VASSAL.tools.ArchiveWriter.save(ArchiveWriter.java:231)
	at VASSAL.build.GameModule.save(GameModule.java:1010)
	at VASSAL.build.GameModule.save(GameModule.java:989)
	at VASSAL.launch.ModuleEditorWindow$2.run(ModuleEditorWindow.java:100)
	at VASSAL.launch.EditorWindow.saver(EditorWindow.java:303)
	at VASSAL.launch.ModuleEditorWindow.save(ModuleEditorWindow.java:98)
	at VASSAL.launch.EditorWindow$2.actionPerformed(EditorWindow.java:186)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown
Source)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown
Source)
	at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown
Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown
Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to delete file:
C:\Users\Ryan\Documents\VASSAL\Eldritch_Horror_1.9.vmod
	at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceDelete(FileUtils.java:2106)
	at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.writeToDisk(ZipArchive.java:492)
	... 46 more

>From what I see, a lot of people have problems with saving certain
things in Vassal because they're trying to save to their program files,
but I'm saving in my personal Documents folder.  I checked to see if I
can still edit Star Wars X-Wing, which is stored in the same place, and
it's fine.  The same error occurs on Vassal 3.2.15, and it occurs if I
try to edit extensions rather than the base module.

I'm hoping this just has something to do with how I'm storing the files,
but I'm just not sure how to configure it myself.  Any help is
appreciated.  Thanks!