[messages] [Module Design] Modules designed under 10mb. How?

bhfredjenni bhfredjenni at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:22:03 CEST 2017

Thanks for the reply uckelman, I'm fairly new at this I've only did the
one Module Star Trek: The Dice Game and have a few other Modules in
working. I guess my question here is when I create my Module board in
Gimp its size is usually 19mb and looks good in Vassal engine, but way
to high for download Module. After I add everything else in the Module
like cards, pieces etc. the mbs grow. rdmorrs reply helped the board go
from 19mb to 788kb using indexed palette and yes it does effect the
quality thats why I did not do the same with my cards. It seems the best
way to keep your Module board low in kbs is just as the manual says scan
the game board. Thats fine if your creating a Module of a game that
already exists and have a good clear scan or a file of the game. But
when it comes to creating your own board in a graphic program like Gimp
or Photoshop its harder to do this and keep the kbs low. Of course I may
be doing something wrong and thats why I brought this question to the
Forum for help and advice. Most of my boards are 2400x1400 and right off
the bat in Gimp I'm at 19mb before I even download it to vassal. I
appreciate your help and reply,  but I'm just not sure how most
designers here can come out with a complete game especially ones with
lots of graphics on board and cards and many pieces all under 15-10mb.
Thanks