[messages] [Developers] Game initialized with shuffled and dealt cards

rrvs spideratj at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 16:03:00 CEST 2017

This is invaluable:

http://www.vassalengine.org/mediawiki/i ... rguide.pdf[1]

..as are the individual wiki pages for each subject available via the
help buttons in the editor.  Use those help buttons liberally for each
trait/feature.

There are different ways to handle design problems in vassal.  For the
pre-start auto dealing of four hands, I'd start by setting the deck to
reshuffle: always (in its properties), then I'd have four module-level
Startup Global Key Commands to handle the dealing to the four hands.  A
potential problem with having it done automatically though is that the
cards will not be masked (hidden to others but visible to the owning
player).  You can have them all sent facedown, but then the players have
to run actions to view and mask them anyway (and in that case I'd just
have the players draw cards themselves at the start).  You can also have
them sent to four private windows (one for each player) so masking is
unnecessary as the window itself limits views, but heavy restrictions in
modules present their own problems.

A problem with auto-drawing after discard is if there is ever an
instance when you don't want it to happen (and one instance is one too
many).  It can be done though, with the simplest way being to draw a new
card via a Global Key Command trait to the selected card (being
right-clicked discarded), then tying the card's Return to Deck trait
(which will discard a card to a discard pile) to that GKC trait.  So the
player right-clicks the appropriate card and selects to discard it,
which really draws a new card first to the same spot and then discards
the selected the card.  This would be for right-click discards only, and
any manual discards to a discards deck would need additional work.  Like
I said though, especially done in such a way as I just outlined, it
could really be a very risky feature.

I'm not sure I really understand the last question. I haven't been able
to find a way to select or deselect w/o using the mouse unfortunately,
but if a piece is selected you can have it removed from a random
selection of other pieces around it... if that's what you're asking.

Anyway, I realize these are just quick overviews, and may be confusing
as written, but check out those mentioned traits via the guide or help
buttons.  There is work involved, especially when getting creative, but
it's fun work.  Hope this helped a little.

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/mediawiki/images/b/b0/Vassal_3.1_designerguide.pdf