[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Can't save log files error has recurred

Edrains edrains at aol.com
Thu May 4 16:31:29 CEST 2017

Hi Joel, here is what happened:

It worked twice last week, after doing what you said in the other thread
 (I threw away the old prefs file in AppData folder).

Then, without my doing anything other than trying to start the BfN
module normally, the same old problem appeared again this week:  Vassal
heap size too large error message, with effect of not being able to save
log files.

So I did the following:

1.	Checked the prefs file at C/Documents and
Settings/grains/AppData/Roaming/VASSAL/prefs, which said:  initial heap
256, maximum heap 512
2.	I threw this prefs file away, and emptied the recycle bin
3.	I started Vassal.exe, which started normally.  I checked the heap
size settings window under File/Preferences, and it says initial heap
512, maximum heap 1024 (the program starts with those values already
set, I didn’t have to change them).
4.	I started the Battle for Normandy module.  The same old Java Maximum
Heap Size Too Large error message appears.  I click on yes to keep
going.  A new prefs file appears at C/Documents and
Settings/grains/AppData/Roaming/VASSAL/prefs, which says initial heap =
256, maximum heap = 512.
5.	Then the Battle for Normandy game map screen comes up.  I checked
file/preferences from the pulldown menu, and it says the initial heap is
set to 256, and the maximum to 512.  I changed these to 512/1024.  When
I did this, the prefs file in the AppData folder also changed to
512/1024.
6.	Then I tried to quit the BfN module, and got a Vassal out of memory
error message.  I had to use the Task Manager to force quit the module.
I left the Vassal engine running.
7.	The prefs file in the AppData folder still says 512/1024.
8.	I re-loaded the Battle for Normandy module, and get the same Java
Maximum Heap Size Too Large error message.  I clicked yes to continue.
9.	The prefs file in the AppData folder still says 512/1024.  I started
a test log file, and made a few simple entries.  Then I tried to end the
log file, and it won’t save, got the same out of memory error message.
 At this point the preferences in all three places are all set to
512/1024 (vassal initial window preferences, BfN module preferences, and
prefs file in AppData folder).  Can’t end the program normally, have
to force quit.

?????

As usual, I'm stumped.  Any advice or help you can provide will be
greatly appreciated!

Ed Rains