[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Cannot open Vassal any more ...

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri May 12 01:08:30 CEST 2017

Thus spake crozzelle:
> Sorry, it should be clear to you by now that I don't know what I'm doing
> in the Cmd.exe window.  I have not created any lock files manually.  A
> new one appears each time I try to open Vassal.
>
> Anyway, here's the error message (finally):

Ok. I can see what your problem is now. You have several files in
C:\Users\cjroz\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL which you don't have permission
to modify with the account you're using. A likely explanation for this
is that you ran VASSAL with admin privileges at some point, which
could have changed the file permissions.

What you need to do is reset the permissions for that directory and
everything under it so that your normal user account can write to those
files. I'm not a Windows user, so I can't tell you excactly how to do
that.

This might have something useful in it:

  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754344(v=ws.11).aspx

If you can't figure it out from that, hopefully someone else here
who uses Windows can suggest how to do it.