[messages] Edit: Re: [Module Design] buildFile PieceSlot format

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu May 18 19:12:14 CEST 2017

Thus spake grouchysmurf:
> [This message has been edited.]
>
> I am dabbling with buildFile.
>
> Background: there are >100 cards in the module. The plan is to create a
> master data file collating all the data related to the cards: id,
> prototypes, markers and generate directly--based on the master
> file--corresponding sections of buildFile.
>
> In theory that is quite straightforward.
>
> What puzzles me is the intricate structure of PieceSlot item--who on
> Earth came up with that?

It's generated by VASSAL.tools.SequenceEncoder. The explanation for
it is that long ago---when the _program_ was VASL, before VASL became
a module---XML parsing was too slow. SequenceEncoder was devised to
produce a quasi-binary format that was faster to parse. It's been
ages since this has been necessary, due to improvements in Java's
XML parser and increasingly powerful CPUs, but getting rid of it
would mean breaking compatiblity with literally every module, save
file, and log every written. Hence, we're stuck with it until VASSAL 4.