[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Starting Vassal in Linux

cyberjockey stancfl at cs.com
Mon Nov 27 03:06:06 CET 2017

Hi,
I am running Fedora 27 with Java 8 U151. After downloading the file, I
went into the terminal and unpacked the file using the 'tar' command. It
seemed like everything unzipped fine, but when I go to run the
'VASSAL.sh' file, nothing happens. The cursor blinks for a couple of
seconds and then the prompt comes up again. I'm new to Linux and I don't
really know the terminal commands very well. So I don't know if maybe
there are other steps I missed or if it is something else.

Here are the contents of my 'VASSAL.sh' file (copied and pasted from the
file):
#!/bin/sh

#
# Execute this file to launch VASSAL on MacOS or Linux
#

# Find absolute path where VASSAL is installed
INSTALL_DIR=$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)

# Launch VASSSAL
java -Duser.dir="$INSTALL_DIR" -classpath "$INSTALL_DIR"/lib/Vengine.jar
VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager "$@"