[messages] [Developers] VASSAL 4 Design Blog

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Thu Sep 14 02:17:36 CEST 2017

Re: Blog 1. Yep, you are hitting on more of the issues that need to be
thought through in detail. The problem is that Vassal cannot know
whether a given version of a module will or will not affect the
behaviour of a given unit. I worry that we will exchange the 'difficult
to update save games' issues we have now to 'random weird unit behavior
when using different versions of a module' issues.

I do not plan look at file formats, that is not my area of expertise. My
understanding is that XML is a good choice as it's structure can be
described in a machine readable form (DTD) and then mechanically
validated. This will be essential as more people start to fiddle with
the buildfile when it becomes more accessible.

I am more concerned about how we handle hidden information (Invisible
and obscured pieces, cards in private hands) in a publicly accessible,
human readable save game format.