[messages] Edit: Re: [Developers] VASSAL 4 Design Blog

JoelCFC25 jkoepp at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 17:33:04 CEST 2017

[This message has been edited.]

A couple of comments on the topic of game piece definitions...

> If a log file is replayed on any version of the module except for
> EXACTLY the same one the log file was created with, there is no
> guarantee you will see what actually happened in the initial creation
> of the log file. It is up to players to keep track of every version of
> every module they have ever used if they want ensure log file
> replayability.
>
> It will probably require players to be far more aware of what version
> of the module is being used by other players.
> Playing rooms on servers should probably have default setting that
> players are not allowed to join a game unless that have the same
> version of the module.
>
> Inconsistent behavior if players are using different versions of the
> module. A single game Piece may behave differently for each player.

Years of PBEM play has long had me convinced that you simply don't want
to allow any of these situations to ever occur in the first place. Some
sort of smack-you-in-the-face obvious alert/feedback needs to stop
players with different modules from connecting to/with each other or to
load files that aren't compatible. Right now, VASSAL silently and
happily allows all of these.