[messages] Edit: Re: [Module Design] Adding maps during play to a map window besides "main map"

Xelvonar xelvonar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 15:26:53 CEST 2018

[This message has been edited.]

Hi y'all,

I am working on a module where a player can control more than one
empire, each of which has its own units and counters. Each empire will
have a play mat for storing its units, etc. which I am implementing as a
map in Vassal. I would like all of these play mats to be in the same
Player window, so a player can just scroll side-to-side to see his
different empires, but the number of empires a player can control varies
with the number of players in the game.

A simple solution would be to make enough copies of the player mats in
each window for any number of players, but the number of controlled
empires varies from 12 (in two players) down to 3 (in seven players) and
so there would be a lot of wasted area. I was thinking implementing this
by letting players build their map window with the appropriate number of
play mats, like you do at startup in many modules (such as  Memoir '44,
for example) where you build the map you want to use. But I do not know
how to implement that, and I don't know if it is possible to do so after
game start and targeting a map window besides the main map.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

-Bill