[messages] [Module Design] How can I simulate miscommunication between generals?

Leftblank jur.boorsma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 13:22:49 CEST 2018

I think that 'sending delayed or incomplete messages that sometimes are
lost or intercepted' is not a feature that is supported by Vassal.
However I had a different idea, with a card deck.
Basic Idea
Every turn a player draws cards.
Player A/Emperor Napoleon draws in his turn a card from a card deck. It
says: You may send 1 message to Player B/Marshall Ney
He draws a second card saying: he will receive the message after 2
turns.
Napoleon makes a pool for Ney, available at turn 3, with 3 cards with
subreports: Napoleons own location: an order: information about enemy
positions.
In the 3rd round Player B/Ney draws a card saying: you may receive one
message. He draws a second card saying: you may reveal 3 subreports.
Thus he gets the full message.

This gives interesting random variations.
If a player doesn't draw a 'send message' card, he can't send a message.
If he doesn't draw a 'receive message' card, he may not receive a
message that turn. If the sending player (Napoleon) draws a slower
messenger, Ney will receive the message after 3 or 4 turns. If Ney draws
a card saying: you may reveal 2 random subreports, he only gets the
reports about Napoleons position and location but not the order.
A player with a greater span of control can send and receive more
messages to more other players, with faster messengers.

Would that be possible, that a player makes a future stack of cards for
others that can be opened on certain conditions?