[messages] [General Discussion] Multiplayer team games and "side" support

Stiglr allendkrsn at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 18:03:43 CEST 2018

Does anybody have any recent experience with multiplayer TEAM games on
Vassal, with regard to side choices? I *should* remember what went on in
a recent Kingmaker game I was in, but sadly, it appears to be another
"hard drive full" moment that I can't recall details of, at all.

I understand that, when a game is played _on the Vassal Server_, one has
to log in "as" one side or as an observer or referee if that's provided
for in the module. Once a person sits on a playing side, he has to
"Leave" that post to make room for anyone else to take that side. I'm
extremely foggy on whether multiple players for any one side are even
supported in Vassal.

So, my questions for a _multiplayer team game to be played via PBeM_:

1) When logfiles are exchanged, how can multiple players be "signed in"
to one of only two PLAYING sides (in the KM game, we each had our own
faction or side, so no two players were ever on the same side! Secrecy
and hidden card hands were supported by the module; It's coming back to
me now...)?

2) If it turns out it's not possible for more than one player to be on
the same side at the same time (ugh), will we have to require teammate
players passing around series of log files to "sign out" and let their
team mates "sign in" as the side representative every single time?? And
how likely is it that some minor corruption might lock a player in or
out of the side's single spot? This is going to be a very long game,
requiring hundreds, if not thousands of "hand-offs", and I wouldn't want
to get a year into it, and find that suddenly, players are locked out of
the game due to some software glitch!!! :o

The reason I'm so concerned about the team aspect is that one side of
the game we're contemplating has off-map movement, which is hidden from
the other side. If multiple player teams aren't supported during PBeM,
that would mean we'd have to rely on an honor system prohibiting one
side from looking at the Off-Map Movement track. I *think* we can trust
everyone, but it doesn't hurt to lock things down if you CAN.

Any thoughts on this?