[messages] [Module Design] Strange behaviour from a Trigger Action - please help.

shilinski stan at hilinski.net
Tue Jan 2 12:09:03 CET 2018

I have been having some problems with triggers myself (when use to
create composite commands), so I messed around with your test module.

First off, you should do some things, which I did, to put more light on
the matter. In your hex grid, right click it and create hex labels--and
print them on the map. Big help. Second, insert reports in your piece to
report locations associated with your ctrl-L et. al. commands.

When I did this, I discovered some oddities. The big one for my problem
is Vassal doesn't update a piece's current location until it completely
finishes a trigger. For example, if the trigger moves it from location X
to Y, each discrete command in the trigger will report it as being in
its starting location X. This answers why my trigger problems occur and
is a very unfortunate "feature."

But that doesn't help you. Here's what I found for you. I created
another trigger command for your piece that advances it forward twice
with no turns. When I executed that command, the plane would only fly 2
hexes due east, west, north, or south. Never NE, SE, NW, or SW. Another
"feature."

It appears to me that triggers have several side effects that makes them
risky and unpredictable.