[messages] [Module Design] Very Strange Vassal Problem

twenck hth9 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 23:26:53 CET 2018

I have had the following recur several times:

I have a well-tested, often played module that runs with no problems.

I edit the module and save as a new version in a new filename.  It tests
and plays just fine.  Call it version 1.1.
I edit some more, save under a new version in a new filename.  It tests
and plays just fine.  Call it version 1.2.

I do this a couple of times and eventually reach version 1.5 all in new
files.  Attempting to run version 1.5 results in a spinning blue ring
that never ends.  No errors.  Nothing.  Windows Task Manager shows that
Java (and Vassal) is using zero CPU cycles.  Error log shows something
like:

C:\Users\hth9\Vassal Modules\TSWW - Vassal Modules\TSWW ETO-MTO
39-43\TSWW ETO-MTO 39-43 v0.1.vmod
C:\Users\hth9\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\tiles\489644e7915916eaaf32a26253da1aa588944e6e
256 256

The tile folder name varies (as it should) but the above log entry
always ends in 256 256.  All the various folders under the tiles folder
were created but are empty.

Now here is the very strange part:

Ok, I must have done something terrible.  I go back to version 1.4 that
tested and played fine.  No go.  Same problem.

I go back to version 1.3 -- same problem.  Same with 1.2 and 1.1.

None of the previous versions that tested and played fine will now even
load.

I have tried rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling Vassal. No go.
Nothing that previously ran will load.  It never begins tiling.  I can
understand some problem that prevents tiling.  But how could the
versions that previously ran fine possibly change?  They reside in their
own file.

Windows 10.  Vassal 3.2.17.  Java