[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Send to Location Hexgrid broken

chrono280 chrono280 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 19:27:42 CET 2018

Unfortunately, I think I have discovered a bug in the way Send To
Location handles hex grid coordinates.

I'm re-making the module for Space Empires 4x and in it, I am building a
function that sends a counter from a given deck to a given hex
coordinate on the main map. The coordinate is stored in a GP.

The counter receives the correct destination coordinate but always lands
in the wrong hex. When moving the counter in that hex you can see Vassal
does correctly recognize the hex coordinates, it is the Sent to Location
property that is off. I believe this may be an error with the "Odd
numbered rows numbered higher" option on the hex grid numbering dialog.
It is as if the Send to Location function is reading the hex grid
coordinates BEFORE this modification takes place.

I set the destination GP to hex L2

[1]

The counter lands in L3 instead.

[2]

Moving the counter a little bit shows the $Location$ is being read
correctly in this moment as L3.

[3]

Now trying in a different row.

[4]

Counter lands in K1 instead of K2. So Even "numbered" Row L got the
coordinate pushed up 1 column while odd numbered K was 1 lower than
expected.  Again Vassal, at least in the map and chat box are reading
the coordinates correctly from $Location$.

[5]
[6]

The current grid hex numbering scheme which is used to match the board
art.

[7]

If I uncheck the "Odd numbered rows numbered higher" option. Send to
Location sends the counters to the appropriate hex grid coordinate,
regardless of row letter. Obviously, the grid numbering does not match
the map art here but the grid coordinates show it landed in the right
spot. Both went to K2 and L2 appropriately.

[8]

So to me this means Sent to Location might not be picking up on the Odd
numbered adjustment from the hex grid numbering dialog. Working around
this could be a pain. Might just make new artwork. I don't want to build
a work around for a bug that could get fixed (and then the workaround
broken) in a latter release.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

BTW I am running Vassal 3.2.17 on a MacBook Air 1.4ghz core i5, 4gb ram.
 MacOS High sierra 10.13.3

[1] https://s9.postimg.org/g0ghm8ain/Screen_Shot_2018-01-28_at_12.54.29_PM.png
[2] https://s9.postimg.org/ngfr820sv/Screen_Shot_2018-01-28_at_12.54.43_PM.png
[3] https://s9.postimg.org/brbrk2uen/Screen_Shot_2018-01-28_at_12.54.51_PM.png