[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Illegal reflective access warning

peterjohnhartman peterjohnhartman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:39:54 CEST 2018

- Model
- Operating System
- CPU
- Memory
- Video Card
- Vassal version. (Go to Help and select About VASSAL)
- Java version. Get it here
- Vassal module name and version (If applicable. If it's not a module
available from the VASSAL module list, then please include a link so we
can download it ourselves.)
- Exactly what steps are required to reproduce your problem. If you are
reporting on a problem that you can’t reproduce consistently, include
as much information as possible about what you were doing right before
the error occurred.

Example:

I'm trying to run VASSAL via X forwarding from my raspberry pi
(headless).  I ssh -Y into the pi and type 'xeyes' and that works; I ssh
-Y into the machine and type ./VASSAL.sh and get the following:

peterjh at alarm ~/local/VASSAL-3.2.17 $ ./VASSAL.sh
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by
VASSAL.tools.image.ImageIOImageLoader
(file:/home/peterjh/local/VASSAL-3.2.17/lib/Vengine.jar) to field
sun.java2d.cmm.ProfileDeferralMgr.deferring
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of
VASSAL.tools.image.ImageIOImageLoader
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal
reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future
release

NB: I have NOT connected the pi to a monitor and tried launching VASSAL
via X locally.

Here's the specs:

Model: Raspberry Pi (I forget the model)
OS: Archlinux
CPU: ARM Cortex-A53
Memory: 928216 kB
Video:
VASSAL: 3.2.17
Java: java-10-openjdk
Module:

1. Please include the first 10 lines of your VASSAL log file, do not cut
them out and just post the error message.

I'm not sure where the VASSAL log file might be; none was created.

2. If at all possible, please include a log file demonstrating the
problem. The people assisting you don not, in general, know your module
and it can waste significant amounts of time trying to reproduce the
problem.