[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Font Size with high dpi monitor on linux

peterjohnhartman peterjohnhartman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 03:08:51 CEST 2018

Hi,

I have a macbook pro running archlinux; the font size is very hard to
read.  I tried a few things, but nothing seemed to work. Any tips?

This is all VASSAL 3.2.17 and Archlinux.

export
_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=true"
cd /usr/share/java/vassal && java -classpath lib/Vengine.jar
VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager "$@"

With OpenJDK 7 or 8, this results in no change.

With OpenJDK 9 or 10 I get the following error on start:

peterjh at palude /usr/bin $ ./vassal
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS:
-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.metal
-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=true
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by
VASSAL.tools.image.ImageIOImageLoader
(file:/usr/share/java/vassal/lib/Vengine.jar) to field
sun.java2d.cmm.ProfileDeferralMgr.deferring
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of
VASSAL.tools.image.ImageIOImageLoader
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal
reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future
release

And when I open a module (like ASL), I get a crash -- error.log
attached.

Thanks in advance.