[messages] [General Discussion] New to All of This

DrNostromo drnostromo at drnostromo.com
Tue Jul 31 23:27:41 CEST 2018

> 1- how does it all work? I assume that I need to download the Vassal
> engine for starters.

Yep. Then you would go to the module section to download any modules you
wish to play. If you have any troubles or need details, the Docs area
has a manual or just asking here will usually get a response.

> 2- What would be a good game for a beginner to start with?

I don't play war games as much as I did back in the 70's and 80's but I
cut my teeth on Panzer Leader and Panzerblitz. Many consider those two
games as pretty much setting the standard for war games and still a
favorite of mine if I do play a war game. Modules for both are here.

> 3- whatever game I end up playing, I assume I need to own a physical
> copy of that game?

Not particularly. Most games here are fully complete as they are
distributed by permission of the authors or original creations. There
are some games that have restrictions ...like, for example, cards may no
have descriptions as the original authors what you to have the original
game to use the Vassal module version. If a module does not include
rules, you can almost always get a PDF copy from boardgamegeek.com.