[messages] [Module Support] Problems with Fields of Despair module 1.3

derekrledr drlenard at pacificcoast.net
Tue Jun 5 07:19:29 CEST 2018

I recently tried to play a PBEM game of Fields of Despair using VASSAL
module v. 1.3... and ran into a couple of issues. Here is copy of a post
I sent to the Vassal Wargamers America group... as I had seen pictures
posted there of a VASSAL game.
[Sigh... more hidden unit issues with Fields of Despair module 1.3.
Because of my previous experience with trying to hide units in solo
mode... I sent a test file to my opponent to check that hidden units
were working properly with 2 players. I loaded the Introductory scenario
and signed in as AP. I clicked on the Hide (AP) button and was
immediately dismayed. All of my AP units had a white line appear around
the outer edges... suggesting that my units had been hidden.
Unfortunately, the white line also appeared around the CP units. Sure
enough... when my opponent loaded the file as the CP player... the CP
units were also hidden. When my opponent clicked on Hide (CP) button...
nothing happened.]

I did receive a response as follows (I haven't asked the responder if I
can identify him... so I am just posting the problem he identifies for
now)...
[You're not doing anything wrong, this is just a design problem. The
property match expression on the Global Key Command attached to the
toolbar button that purports to hide only AP units is faulty.
{ObscuredToOthers=="false"&&PlayerSide=="AP"&&CurrentMap=="Main Map"}
This returns a value of true for ALL blocks on the map (what you're
experiencing), thus masks them all.
 Also, in response to: "When my opponent clicked on Hide (CP) button...
nothing happened."
The property match on the corresponding Hide CP button looks like the
above, but with "CP" in place of "AP". This returned nothing for your
opponent because after you used the Hide AP button, the value of
ObscuredToOthers for all blocks became "true".

I also noticed that there are no dummy counters (value 0) for the
Artillery and Airplanes on the Player cards or in the Force Pools (There
should be one of each)