[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] UGH! Bug appeared when attempting to save copy after editing

Xenomorph robert.e.hall2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 19:22:56 CEST 2018

Hello,

     So frustrated at the moment. I've been adding my own custom units
and maps to the Panzerleader/Panzerblitz module and thought I should
make copies when saving (in case something like a file hitting a bad
spot on the computer disk etc). So after my next save I also did a "Save
as" and simply added "-2" to the filename. I had the Windows directory
open and noticed that when I did this, the file with the "-2" appeared
in the directory but it was a generic windows file icon (ie not a Vassal
module icon). I thought this was odd of course, and so simply went into
Windows and made a copy of the Vassal module that way (the file that
actually did have the Vassal icon, not the new blank icon file).  Given
all this, I decided to exit Vassal altogether and re-open the Vassal
module (by clicking on the icon I always clicked on). That's when I got
the bug message.  The module won't open and neither will the copy I
made.  It appears that my attempt to do that original "Save as" and
adding the "-2" somehow corrupted the file completely.

I did save a copy to the cloud (a couple hours worth of work ago, of
course) and here I thought by creating a copy I'd save possible
headaches but it appears that creating the copy was itself what caused
the problem.

Oh, one more thing: it also occurred to me that possibly the edits I'd
done just before saving had somehow created to bug. So I went into edit
mode (that also gave me an a bug message but did let me edit) and undid
the edits I'd just done before all this.  Oddly, that allowed me to open
the module BUT the map doesn't appear and the units window, while
showing the names of the units, doesn't show any of the unit icons
themselves. So odd.

Vassal 3.2.17, Windows 10, Module PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader 3.5v02, Dell
Alienware 13

Thanks so much for any help!