[messages] [Opponents Wanted] Turning Point: Stalingrad

Gryff ml_berlin at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 04:11:00 CET 2018

And if somebody who read this, did not play__ TP:S__ or __B:N__ before,
don't worry ! Especially TP:S is very well suited for beginners, to take
the part of the Germans. These games are not like 'Paths of Glory',
which is Chess +cards and dice rolls. In other words, there is
absolutely no way a beginner can beat a 'PoG' expert, even with 10 games
under his belt, exactly like chess.

In TP:S, both players in a combat roll 2 dices and add their attack
strength( boosted by additional troops, German air superiority or
terrain, artillery support and rubble in case of the defender. Combined
with the unknown number of impulses( action rounds) each day( and
especially at night) this forces the players to make the important moves
first, so an experienced player still has advantages, but if the
beginner rolls 12 and the expert 2 all the time, the beginner will win.
This element of deciding what is most important, the quick pace and the
continuous chance/threat of a breakthrough to the Volga makes this game
so unique and enjoyable. I played a lot of traditional 'hexagon- I move
all my units for the next 2h, then you move all of yours'- games. Even
some monstergames, like 'Siege of Jerusalem' = 4 players, 2 per side,
for 2 weeks, usually 12h per day. We quit before we ended the 3rd or 4th
Scenario of 12 in the Campaign game. However after I played TP:S, those
traditional wargames were no longer bearable.