[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Socket Error

JoelCFC25 jkoepp at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 16:00:23 CEST 2018

One relatively easy thing you could try that ends up being the root
cause of a surprising number of problems is verify that you have the
correct type of Java installed for your system architecture. To wit,
there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, and you need the
corresponding version of Java. I've lost track of how many people had
errors that stemmed from having 32-bit Java running in a 64-bit version
of Windows.

The other thing that occurs to me whenever I see socket errors is that
there could be firewall and/or internet filtering software running with
settings that are incorrectly blocking VASSAL to some degree. If you
have software like that, try disabling it.