[messages] [Module Design] Text wrapping for cards

MyNameIsMike mikemvr3 at aol.com
Fri Oct 18 09:43:35 CEST 2019

I'm new to Vassal and I'm looking to use it for testing games I'm
working on. It seems to have pretty much everything I'm looking for and
more. I've started with a simple one I'm making (basic text cards,
simple turns, etc.) but I've run into an issue. When I make a text box
on a card, it just writes the text with no boarder definitions. For this
game it isn't too bad since the only positions are player hands
(simulated with areas, nothing programed), the deck and a play/discard
pile (also simulated) but some games I'm making need cards to be places
in specific positions which will cause a number of issue.

While I can work around this for this game, I'd like to try and fix it
now for these future games but I'm not sure how. Currently I have each
card added as a [card] to the deck for the game with the properties
[Basic Piece], [Text Label] and [Mask] in that order. The mask makes the
back of the deck and when drawn, the text label appears as both should
but I don't know where to go from here to define the card boarders (if
that's possible).

I found another thread asking about this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3793[1]
where they said:
"I just needed to put the layer that contained the text image above the
prototype definition that contained the mask and other images"
I'm not sure if by "layer" they mean the current traits or the Layer
trait (maybe I need to make the text label into an always active Layer,
though that seems to require an image be made). I'm also not sure how
prototypes come into play as I tried making one but only succeeded in
making a deck with two different mask images which changes by hitting
reverse.

Thanks for any help

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3793