[messages] [Developers] Test builds for 3.3.0

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu Oct 24 22:08:00 CEST 2019

Thus spake Malnorma:

> "uckelman" wrote:
> > The problem is not specific to launching java to kick off the tiling.
> > I set up a Catalina VM last night so I could try this myself. I found
> > that replacing the call to java with a shell script fails in the same
> > way, as does invoking /bin/bash directly. It seems like
> > java.lang.ProcessBuilder isn't seeing the filesystem.
>

> It may be an auto-sandboxing thing.  Is it able to launch /usr/bin/java?

I don't have a system Java installed on this VM.

Using the bundled Java, I get the same IOException with this trivial
program:

  package VASSAL.test;

  import java.lang.Process;
  import java.lang.ProcessBuilder;

  public class RunTest {
      final ProcessBuilder pb = new ProcessBuilder("/bin/ls");
      pb.redirectOutput(ProcessBuilder.Redirect.INHERIT);
      final Process proc = pb.start();
      proc.waitFor();
    }
  }

This has no problem listing the contents of the working directory
on Linux.

>  I had no problems when using that instead of the embedded JRE
> (providing java appears in the security and privacy exception list).

Is there anywhere one can check if you're running into sandboxing?
Are denials logged? The error message is rubbish if that's what's
happening.