Module:Space Empires: 4X
|Length||180 mins||Series||4X games|
|2.0 (Includes BOTH the Original and Expansion game!)|
|2.1 (Includes Expansion)|
Space Empires is a game in the finest tradition of 4X space games - eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. Make no mistake. All four "X's" are included in this game. This is a wargame where the purpose of building your empire is not to feel good about your achievement, but to destroy your enemies and burn their colonies. One difficulty in games of this genre is that they are often either overly simplistic or tediously detailed. Space Empires has been almost 20 years in the making and, during that time, many elegant solutions have been developed to keep the theme rich without a lot of rules. The game includes carriers and fighters, mines, cloaking, a very large technology tree, fifteen ship classes from scout to dreadnaught, merchant shipping, colonization, mining, terraforming, bases, shipyards, black holes, warp points, and non-player aliens, yet the rules are short and intuitive and the game can be finished on one sitting. This is NOT a game that is hard to get into. The rules are only 8 pages long for the basic game and increase to 11 pages in length when the advanced rules are included.
Exploration is easy (well, easy for you, it is actually dangerous for your ships) and fun and reveals different terrain (such as asteroids and nebulae) which affect your movement and your combat.
This is a game made by people who love the genre, but play other games too.
Tutorial Video (v1.2)
- Corrected number of black holes in the White Deep Space Marker deck
- Made the Colony, Homeworld 20 and Homeworld 30 markers available for Red and Yellow players in the cardboard box menu.
- Production sheet automation!
- Way too many other changes to keep track of! See included help PDF for full details on using the new features.
- Fixed bug in which the Blue and or Yellow sides could not be joined on certain scenarios.
- Fixed bug where SY's were able to equip higher than Attack/Defense 1.
- Implemented user-friendly icons to improve accesibility of mod.
- Added pre-configured scenarios for all game scenarios except the 8 player map.
- Added "counter trays" in the form of a build window with specific stacks of markers for each team.
- Added ability to swap home system markers and home worlds at the start of pre-configured maps. This may only be done during the 1st Economic phase.
- Added ability to send units from the build window to the appropriate SY and vice-versa.
- Exploration technology displays as a text box the first time a marker is explored, it is as normal afterwards.
- Attempted to increase production sheets to 20 economic phases, but not all of them seemed to "take" this change.
- Added scenario information.
- Turn marker updates with turn changes automatically. Turn counter now set to rotate through P1-P4 rather than player colors.
- Selected units now highlight in orange.
- Moveable units now show movement trails that will toggle on/off when piece is sent to battle board. (Known issue) When piece is returned to board from battle board, movement trails will toggle back on, but will show incorrect movement trails. These can be cleared by hitting mark as not moved button as normal.
- Fixed issue where colony level markers would not persist correctly when game save loaded.
- Minimap window added.
- Fixed issue where users were unable to use Exploration Technology on a marker if they were not the user who placed the marker.
- Increased Production Sheet table to go out 20 Econ Phases, like the hard copy of the game.
- The Home System Marker decks can be shuffled into the White Deep Space marker deck under the Space Markers window so you can play completely random map scenarios.
- Entering combat is now logged to the chat.
- Bob Seifert
- Kevin Rohrer