Create account / Log in

Windows 10 and Java

Topics related to the main Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: Windows 10 and Java

Postby jrwatts » May 5th, 2021, 11:04 pm

Garuda wrote:1. I don't need to download Java because it comes bundled with VASSAL.

Correct (unless you're running Linux).
Garuda wrote:2. The version with VASSAL has no plug ins so its safe on line as malware on websites can't interact with it?

Correct.
Garuda wrote:3. Being bundled with the VASSAL download means this Java isn't accessible for use by any other programme other than VASSAL - meaning again, its safe?

Unless you deliberately alter your path to point to the bundled Java, no other programme will know how to find it, so correct.
jrwatts

Postby uckelman » May 5th, 2021, 11:27 pm

We've never relied on the browser plugin, and no package we've produced that installs Java or has Java bundled with it has included the browser plugin. The Java browser plugin was deprecated in Java 9 and you'd be hard pressed to even find a current browser which can run it. There wasn't an issue with VASSAL and the browser plugin fifteen years ago, let alone in 2021; I'm amazed at this point that people even remember it existed.
uckelman
Site Admin

Postby Garuda » May 6th, 2021, 7:27 am

Thanks for the replies.

I'll give VASSAL a try.

I own a physical copy of Holland 44, but lack an opponent. So once I get to downloading and familiarizing myself with VASSAL, I'm looking forward to finding an opponent on line.

Thanks again 8)
Garuda

Previous

Return to General Discussion