Create account / Log in

Experimental 3.6 features NEED YOU to test them!

Issues with the Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Re: Experimental 3.6 features NEED YOU to test them!

Postby marktb1961 » April 20th, 2021, 11:38 am

imikem wrote:So after reading the above note from marktb1961, I wondered if I was more hallucinatory than usual. So I pulled down the latest macOS version 3.6.0-SNAPSHOT-c867c45-DeeperDeckDooDoo, and opened my hobby vmod. I get the same results as before. Command-Drag did the same thing as click-and-drag, moving objects to different locations, but not duplicating. Control-Drag duplicated the items at the destination, but opened the context menu as well.

I did have a nagging doubt that I hadn't tested Cmd+LeftDrag quite right. I hadn't, I confused the expected operation with an ordinary drag. When I went back v3.6 builds, I found that Cmd+LeftDrag makes no difference (does same as a drag with no key press, so far as I can tell).

Sure enough, Control+LeftClick does what imikem observed and it is an example of why no app should be using Control+LeftClick on a Mac...it is the original MacOS "right-click" and there is nothing an ordinary Mac user can do to alter that.

One perhaps useful thing I did find out; Option+LeftClick also does there copy+drag.

It seems odd that Control+Drag is "working" and Cmd+Drag is not; even though Option+LeftClick works, Control+LeftClick should not be doing anything; the OS (I think) will treat it as a right-click anyway.
Platform: Vassal 3.5.5, MacOS Big Sur on iMac (27", mid-2020)
marktb1961

Postby Cattlesquat » April 20th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Well, I guess "Option+LeftClick" better be what we put in any documentation for the Mac version of this then! All the Mac support on this feature is down inside the "Java AWT" Black Box.

Brian
Cattlesquat

Postby marktb1961 » April 20th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Could this be anything to do with it, or related at least ?

https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8242805
marktb1961

Postby marktb1961 » April 20th, 2021, 10:16 pm

@ imikem, after some research and discussion with Brian, we're convinced the Control+Click problem is a Java-related issue. The bug report I found (above) is in the same ballpark but I've logged another specifically on the issue that this part of Java does not understand the Control+Click is special on MacOS and, if I'm not mistaken, should not be used directly (the OS will present it as RightClick anyway).

Also, Option+Click seems to work, I hope you will find.

Mark
marktb1961

Postby imikem » April 21st, 2021, 12:35 am

Thanks everyone. I can confirm that Option*-Drag creates a duplicate as described, and avoids the ugliness of showing the context menu while dragging the object.

* Alt if you use a more Windows-standard keyboard.
imikem

Postby bluecanuck » May 15th, 2021, 6:59 am

3.6.0-SNAPSHOT-b9d946f-windows-64

Win 7, Gateway PC

Rt click [Game Piece Prototype Definitions] -> Choose Insert -> Choose Game Piece Prototype Definitions
- the new item is inserted above the original but the Main Module Window disappears.

I do not know how to re-open the window. I could save, close and re-start but remember seeing something about how to do this otherwise.

No error message showed in chat area or the log.

The Folders and the Drag and Drops so far have worked for me. Real nice to have.
Attachments
errorLog-3.6.0.txt
Log from the insert problem
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
bluecanuck

Previous

Return to Technical Support & Bugs